Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Is Patience a Virtue?



I googled this question and found the following quote by a fellow named Stephen Waters which makes good sense to me ...
Patience is not so much a virtue as it is a reward that comes to those in balance. Do not try to "be" patient, or to practice patience, or try to emulate those who are patient. It isn't a habit, or something to be learned for its own sake. Patience is no virtue; patience is a reward.
Patience is a state of balance that rises simply out of understanding; the unexpected gift experienced after a confluence of a sense of time, of struggle, of perspective, of judgment, of harnessing the mind.

I'm struggling this week with that balance. Or, I guess you could say, that's one of my life challenges. Over and over again I've experienced that flow that happens when you feel you're on the right track and things naturally progress as it feels they should. For some reason, right now, that flow is stalled. I know there's a reason for it and I try not to make myself crazy with trying to figure it all out. Maybe the secret is to just do nothing; to let the universe unfold as it should. (I've always said I believed in that but it's easier to put into practice when you're not stuck:)

I've recently begun seeing a life/work coach (Jan Carley) and I'm very excited about some new opportunities that I've just started looking into. I know, this is all a bit confusing when I can't talk specifics, but I will be more detailed as soon as it feels right to do so. Anyway...one of the things we were looking at together is why the stall. What might I need to learn or do to break through this next phase. Right now, my answer is, I DON'T KNOW!!! I'm taking action by doing lots of reading and learning in the meantime. I'm thinking yoga should be at the top of my priority list - to help me breathe, balance and "be".

Any thoughts???

2 comments:

Way Out Wear said...

I think the quote could certainly create more questions that provide you with answers. Try just 'being in the moment' and enjoy that 'what is' that is now and you will realize that you have patience. It's already there, you just haven't realized it. Have you read "Eat Pray Love"? The author, Elizabeth Gilbert flew around the world and spend time in ashrams and with all sorts of mentors and teachers and then came home to realize that everything she thought she needed, she already had.
Talking to someone about this will surely help (like your coach), and you may discover that you are not really stalled at all, you just haven't realized the progress you are making.
Maybe try keeping a daily journal? You might find when you look back through the pages that you are doing way more than you thought you were - you just hadn't realized it yet.
Good luck with your journey - keep us posted.

bodalorna said...

Wow! thanks so much for those words. I am starting to journal again and I did read Eat Pray Love but maybe need to review:) One thing I know for sure is that a good night's sleep always puts things into a better perspective!
Happy Weekend to you!