Friday, August 8, 2008

I said I'd post so...here ya go...

Grandma’s stories…(as read at her 90th birthday party celebration)
I remember grandma being a part of my life in a big way when she and the family moved back to BC after grandpa died. We had a pretty small house in Yarrow at the time and several of them moved in with us until they could get settled into their own home. I was in kindergarten, going into grade one – I had red rubber boots. Lucy was going to be in my school! It was all an adventure for me. Before their arrival, I only knew my other grandma and didn’t know that they came in all shapes and sizes. My other grandma was "grandma-like" with permed grey or blue hair, kinda short and pretty quiet. The day the family arrived, I couldn’t believe it – this woman was tall (at least to me at the time), had long black hair, and did not fit any grandma image that I knew. She actually fixed her own car! I was so excited to get to know her.
I never tired of hearing grandma’s stories. This is how I learned important things about our family’s history, their move to Canada, my dad’s life as a boy and the hardships they all had to endure. After they all moved out, our families visited together regularly but my special time with grandma was always one-on-one. I was a bit of a clumsy girl and twisted my ankle a lot. Whenever this happened, we’d go over to grandma’s and she would get out the liniment and massage my foot until I felt better. Her hands and her presence were so strong and healing!
When we had an assignment at school to interview someone about their history, of course I chose grandma. I couldn’t wait to ask those burning questions like: what did you eat when you were a little girl? What did you play with? How did you come to Canada. What was it like for you? I couldn’t get enough of her stories!
My biggest and fondest shared experience was getting to go back to Mexico with grandma in 1983 for one month. This, for me, was a trip of a lifetime. She has always been one of my favourite traveling companions (George is in the top two!) She graciously shared this journey with me which on many occasions meant also sharing a bed (we won’t talk about the snoring), translating conversations (I didn’t speak any German), and comforting me when I became homesick. At the time, I didn’t even appreciate how this could have been difficult for her – and she certainly never gave me the impression that it was.

Grandma taught me to love and appreciate travel – how to pack a suitcase (always roll your clothes), and how to take any situation as it came and make the best of it. I love you Grandma, thank you for your stories !

3 comments:

Ms.Barbara Jane said...

Happy Birthday Gramma K!!

Anonymous said...

Such warm and heartfelt words. Made me cry, not once, but twice. I'm hardening now. Actually got through it without welling up and feeling a lump in my throat (and heart). Good stuff.
Love
Laurie

bodalorna said...

Thanks so much Auntie Laurie. I felt that way the whole weekend - I'm only just starting to recover myself!