Friday, August 22, 2008

Everybody has a story...


I was speaking to someone about blogging the other day who said, "I don't know why anyone would want to blog about their boring life everyday or why anyone would want to read it." Ouch! I know that she just doesn't get it. The blogging world has opened up my life. I pay more attention - always thinking, 'is this something I might want to share?'. I take more pictures and see things differently. I catch up with people from around the world on a daily basis.

I visit (virtually) a man in the US who tragically lost his wife right after their baby was born in March of this year. He bravely and honestly tells us about his life and what it's like being a suddenly single father. The support he receives from the blogosphere is phenomenal.

I've just recently met (again, virtually) a taxi driver in Ireland who is so witty and creative in how she shares her life and stories.

I've reconnected with a friend who had moved away and will soon be returning to Vancouver.

I look at photos and stories by the amazing women on the Shutter Sisters site that always inspire me to open up my world just a little bit more - either through writing or pix.

And...I visit my friends locally (Cynthia, Barb, Carol, http://wayoutwear.blogspot.com/) who also share their life and stories through blogging and I get to see their world through a different lens.

I really do think everyone has a story to tell, don't you?

4 comments:

Way Out Wear said...

Excellent post! Yes Lorna, I agree with everything you said.

Thanks for sharing and saying it all so well.

That person was not speaking from a position of knowledge. I bet she hasn't read any blogs. Or perhaps she's a boring person and doesn't think that others lives are going to be different than hers!

I love your blog it's always very upbeat and interesting so keep telling your stories!

And thanks for sharing the links of peoples blogs you read - very interesting and thanks for including a link to my blog, you can use my real name if you like...
~Denise

Ms.Barbara Jane said...

I can't agree more!
Starting a blog has been one of the best things I have ever done. I've started writing again, I think of things differently now and I am learning how to express myself. I am learning a skill and connecting with amazing people while trying to figure out how on earth I am going to describe events in my life with words and pictures? I also have a record of my life that I can look back on in years to come.
I also love the ritual of checking in on my favourite blogs every day. It helps me feel connected.
Some people just don't get it.

Carol Browne said...

It's very true. And I rarely find anyone else's life boring to read about. I HEART blogging. Long live the internets!

Anonymous said...

I always find it so wierd that my best friends in real life don't really give much of a crap about blogs, no matter how much I talk about them! They won't even visit mine! I think there should be an uprisal;)

Yes, I definately agree with you. Blogging is a most excellent invention indeedy!