Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Can I bottle this feeling???

This past weekend will go down as one of the more magical moments in my life experience. I got to re-connect with some family members that I had such special bonds with when I was younger. I spent many, many hours in my girlhood singing with my aunties and cousins and we got to recreate that all this weekend - but even better. Saturday night was spent singing our hearts out in my uncle's basement - 3 part harmonies, blended voices, magical sounds, connecting spirits! I will hear those voices in my head for a long time with so much fondness and love!
Grandma's birthday party went off without a hitch (except for the part where we almost started her on fire by putting a bunch of sparklers on her cake - not a good combination with 'vintage' polyester!), I said my speach with much difficulty (so much emotion) and about 100 people came to honour her and the gifts that she has brought to so many lives.
I can't quite figure out how to explain my feelings/thoughts other than to say, these are 'my people'. They look like me, sound a bit like me, have similar mannerisms and thoughts as me. Being with them all again and hearing our voices singing together was so powerful!

When I'm away from all of this so long, I forget that feeling of connectedness that's feeds my soul. I'm welcomed into this group and surrounded by loving arms. Sappy, I know.

My aunt and uncle who hosted the after-events all weekend are so gracious and giving - they have the perfect party house with a basement full of musical instruments, a bar, many rooms for sleeping and a kitchen that welcomes all who enter. There were so many things that reminded me of the past, but even better, new memories were created. I'm a different person now and I come to these experiences with such different eyes. I get to put the pieces of the puzzle together - the history of who I am and these people that are all part of that creation.
Now I just have to catch up on some sleep!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fabulous weekend with fantastic singers and songs. Loved every minute of it. Still trying to catch up on my sleep. Yawn....time for a cat nap.
Love
Laurie

Anonymous said...

Really enjoyed reading your thoughts, Lorna. I'm glad the time we all shared meant so much to you. I, too, really enjoyed some special moments, or should I say, hours! Especially the singing-together-in-the-basement until the wee hours of the morning. I didn't wanna stop! Enjoyed all the goofyness and laughter! Hope we can do it again and again. Maybe in Powell River this time???

Love you lots,
Auntie Anne :)