Monday, March 9, 2009

It's All Good...

One day soon, I'll have my camera, charger, adapter cord and computer all in one place at the same time. I finally got my computer back (she was very much missed!) and now I can't find my camera adapter cord to transfer my pix on so...I'm writing anyway (pictures to come soooon).

I feel very settled today - in my jammies watching the snow fall and working away on some new Bodacious stuff. We had lots of company over the weekend which was pretty great - my dad, step-mom, grandma, brother and his whole family and my uncle and cousin were all here at some point over the past few days. Lots of great visiting and catching up.
One of my favourite things is hearing my dad and grandma tell stories from the "old days" when my dad was a small boy in Mexico. One I hadn't heard before connected Pancho Villa to their hometown of Chihuahua (well before my dad was born but still connected to our family)!

My grandma moved to Mexico when she was 4 years old with some of the first Mennonite settlers over there. The land was cheap and uncultivated and they were able to practice their religion without the threat of being conscripted. Their culture wasn't necessarily welcomed by all of the local Mexicans and the families had to find a way to communicate and do business in this new land.
Apparently, my grandma's uncle found a stash of gold (we're talking several gold bars) on their land and decided to make a dash for the border - thinking it would be easier to keep it if he was outside of Mexico. Unfortunately, that's as far as his plan went, and all of the gold was confiscated by the border patrol. This was the year before Pancho Villa was killed and there were rumours that his gold was hidden in the vicinity. That's as far as the story goes for now but I'm looking into it:) Imagine how history might have been different had his plan worked!
Hope you all had a great weekend - now it's hailing!!!

No comments: